In honor of National Scavenger Hunt Day (May 2020), we are sharing a little scavenger hunt game to keep you and your family busy this Memorial Day weekend while practicing social distancing. The idea is to find these outdoor spots in Marion County and learn a little more about your community. There are no prizes. It is just for fun. Explore! Enjoy! Be MarionMade!
We are sharing the clues today and will share the answers next Wednesday. If you get a chance take a picture of yourself at one of the locations and share it. Have fun!
- I’m internationally famous with my story shared in newspapers, books, and websites. A replica of me stands outside a museum. I might have weight issues as I weigh over 2 tons. I’m often described as glossy, smooth, and constantly in motion. I rest, in peace, with many others, in tribute to those who have gone on. I am proud to be igneous. What am I?
- My style is Greek though I come from Georgia. I’ve been in Marion for 93 years. When I was 4 years old a President dedicated me. There are famous people always with me. Each year I host a special ceremony in tribute to one of those famous people. The ceremony involves speeches, wreaths, and a military salute. Unlike my friend #1, who lives across the street, I’m metamorphic. What am I?
- I began with simple roots in 1936 with a piece far heavier than my friend #1. It actually weighed 35 tons. The tribute was in honor of a World War I version of this, not a Pillsbury one. I was one of the first of these to pay tribute to the women who served. It is great to visit me on Memorial Day weekend to sit and reflect. Also because I’m the first of my kind in the nation to pay tribute to all American conflicts. What am I?
- I mark and tell the story of a group of people in 1922-23. I have a connection to a sport that had its early roots in Ohio. The group’s name rhymed with an Australian device once used for hunting but named for a group of Native Americans. If that wasn’t strange enough, the group’s owner loved and bred a type of dog known as the “King of” this breed that are hunters, athletes, and companions. I live at 300 S. High Street (OH 37), LaRue. What am I?
- My name means a combination of heaven and earth given to me as it describes my beauty. The State of Ohio recognized my beauty in 1990. The public has been able to visit me since 2018, though I encourage you to do this while staying safe and practicing social distancing. My mission is to inform and engage our communities in their natural history, heritage, and resources. There is so much to learn and discover and I change every season. I live at 1536 Whetstone River Road North in Caledonia. What am I?
Answers to the above scavenger hunt questions:
- The Merchant Family Memorial in the Marion Cemetery, also knowing as the Mysterious Revolving Ball Memorial. Located at 620 Delaware Avenue, Marion, Ohio.
- Harding Memorial located at the corner of Delaware Avenue & Vernon Heights Boulevard, Marion, Ohio.
- Veteran’s Memorial Park located at the corner of Delaware Avenue & McKinley Park Boulevard in Marion, Ohio
- The historic marker dedicated to the home of the Oorang Indians Football Team, known as the NFL’s most colorful franchise. It is located at 300 S. High Street (OH 37), LaRue, Ohio.
- Terradise Nature Preserve located at 1536 Whetstone River Road North, Caledonia, Ohio.